Come, let us join our friends above
who have obtained the prize,
and on the eagle wings of love
to joys celestial rise.
Let saints on earth unite to sing
with those to glory gone,
for all the servants of our King
in earth and heaven are one.
As is my custom on All Saints Day, I remember and give thanks for those in my life who in the past year have left us in the Church Militant to join the Church Triumphant. While saddened at the loss, they remain in my memory as servants who have faithfully run the race and now have claimed their prize for faithfulness in ministry
Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses…
This year I remember
- Vincenta, who suffered with much but held tight to the Gospel throughout
- Hope, who in her own practical and direct way – that could sometimes rub you the wrong way – was nonetheless always the gracious, generous and hospitable hostess
- Dave, who was so very generous in his time, talents, gifts and service to the local church
- Jack, who truly laid aside noble birth to serve the Lord Jesus Christ
- Odessa, who in her lifetime spanning more than a century spent a majority as a pastor’s wife, supporting him, their family and the church in ministry
- Beth, who likewise counted it an honor and a calling to support her husband in his varied ministries
To God the Most High I give thanks for these saints, for their lives, their examples and the difference they made in this world and the inspiration they have been to me.
One family we dwell in him,
one church above, beneath,
though now divided by the stream,
the narrow stream of death;
one army of the living God,
to his command we bow;
part of his host have crossed the flood,
and part are crossing now.
[Text from Come, Let Us Join Our Friends Above by John Wesley]